Tuesday, July 16, 2013

From the desk of Gabby
Darlingest friends, 

A reader alerted me to this story that broke a while ago - but since gabby has never been into the world of Fantasy (other than her recurring James Franco dream), it wasn't on her radar. But after hearing it, I thought I would share.

It seems a lovely Irish lass was hired for a featured role on the hit series, "Game of Thrones." She was excited - the project paid quite well and was very popular - but when she arrived... well... she was not aware that the show has a reputation for relying on more just just their actors' talent to draw voyeurs, er, viewers in, and that her role was more set undressing than set dressing - so she walked.  You can read the article here.

I think the only real moral of this story is, like she says: "It was my own fault really because I didn’t research the show properly." I can sort of see that. And yet - what if it was a brand-new show or a pilot? Sometimes all we have to go on is what our agents tell us, and don't blame her for walking when she arrived to see the role was not as-described. But, then again, I also would not have blamed her had she stayed. I just wish we didn't seem to be headed back down the late 70's-late 80's There-Is-Nudity-In-Everything wormhole. Actors have a JOB to do. What other legal jobs (besides artist's model) expect the employees to drop trou on a regular basis? And Gabby isn't the only one who's getting a wee bit annoyed. Even one of the show's own has said:

“One of the girls in the show who got her kit off the most in the first couple of seasons now doesn’t at all because she said, ‘I want to be known for my acting not for my breasts.” (You can read that article here.)

It's always a matter of each person's taste, but a good rule of thumb it so, at least, always get paid when people ask to see the goods - especially on camera. Because those images will be around for a long, long time. For better or for worse.


Yours most sincerely,
Gabs

No comments: